The Beje

The Beje (pronounced bay-yay) was the home of Corrie Ten Boom where she and her family hid Jews from the Gestapo in Nazi-occupied Holland. It was also the home where Corrie grew up and learned about Jesus Christ from her wise father. At the Beje, there was always room at the dinner table for just one more. This blog is a collection of my musings on daily life as I learn who I am in Christ.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Curses, Curses and More Curses

I am continually amazed and annoyed at the curses people pronounce over my marriage. Of course no one ever says, “be cursed,” or “may your marriage fail.” What they do is say something like,
· “The first year is always good, but then after that….”
· “The first year is the most stressful.”
· “ Expect conflicts over living arrangements, finances, etc.”
· “Have you gained any weight yet?”
· “Have you had any good fights yet?”
· “Don’t expect the bedroom to be great at first. It will probably take years.”
· “Ah, you’re newlyweds. Just wait. The honeymoon always comes to an end.”
· “No two people are ever compatible.”
· “She cooks? Bet you’re going to start gaining weight.”
· “Just wait ‘til the honeymoon’s over.”

These are curses. They are not just idle chitchat. People speak their own marriage troubles over others, and those hearers in turn receive those negative sayings into their spirits. Like weed seeds, these comments are received deep into the spirit where they eventually germinate and grow. Make no mistake; these are curses.

Sadly, many of these curses are pronounced by Christians. In fact, entire articles and whole books have been written by Christian authors that endeavor to help fledgling marriages, but are filled with curses. Amazing! Simply amazing!

What if we talked to our children about school the same way we talk to newlyweds about marriage?
Just wait, son. Your first day at school is always easy. The first week will probably be easy. But just you wait. It gets hard. Don’t expect to pass your 2nd or 3rd reading exams. You will probably have lots of trouble with spelling. Don't even think about passing your math exams. And wait until the school bully corners you in the playground. He’s gunna bust your lip wide open and take your lunch money. Yeah, you’re gunna love first grade, son.

I may be a newlywed. I’m not immune to troubles, and I don’t have all the answers, but I believe with all my heart that it doesn’t have to be this way. Marriages can be blessed. Through Jesus Christ MY marriage can be blessed. So, in the name of Jesus Christ, I reject and break every curse that has been pronounced over my marriage or my weight. According to Romans 8, I am a co-heir with Christ, and I claim my rightful blessing of a great and fantastic marriage filled with peace, joy and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home