The Beje

The Beje (pronounced bay-yay) was the home of Corrie Ten Boom where she and her family hid Jews from the Gestapo in Nazi-occupied Holland. It was also the home where Corrie grew up and learned about Jesus Christ from her wise father. At the Beje, there was always room at the dinner table for just one more. This blog is a collection of my musings on daily life as I learn who I am in Christ.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Having Bold Faith

Imagine the scene. A shepherd boy with no armor or sword goes up against a man who stands over 9 feet tall, who wears over a hundred pounds of armor, and who has a javelin that size of a light pole. A young, inexperienced sheep herder goes up against a battle hardened adult. Who stands to win in such a case? What do the five physical senses say? From everything we can see and hear the boy doesn't stand a chance.

"Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel." (1Sa 17:45-46 KJVA)


David came against Goliath, and did not go by what everything in the physical world told him. He said, "Goliath, you come at me with the five physical senses - weapons that can be seen, heard, smelled, and felt. But I come at you with a something that cannot be seen, heard or felt, but is just as real as the stone that's going to sink into you forehead."

Notice the boldness of David. No whimpering. No "if it be thy will" nonsense. No asking God to bless his efforts while he goes out to try and see what happens against the giant. David boldly proclaimed his victory against what everything in the physical world told him was impossible. David spoke in faith. If a Christian were to exercise David's bold faith today, some in the church would no doubt say that he is arrogant. Some would say that's getting into name-it-claim-it. Some today would say that one should be careful. After all, God sometimes says no. Right? No, David spoke in bold faith not arrogance, and God showed up for him.

If God sometimes says no to His promises in Scripture, then how can we ever have the faith necessary to believe for anything? If I am walking holy (1 Jn 3:22), asking for something in accordance with His Word (1 Jn 5:14), and have unwavering faith (Mk 11:23), does God just sometimes say no to His clear promises in the Bible? If someone told me they hid just one land mine in my one acre yard, how can I confidently walk on any part of my yard? Think about it. I can NEVER feel completely safe even though there is only one mine. If the yard were 100 acres, I would still not be completely confident to walk on it. Not completely. If God sometimes says no, how could we ever have the faith to believe for anything?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home